Saturday, July 19, 2008

Three Hours and Twenty-Five Minutes

The doctors wanted Cathy to be on the trach collar for three hours this morning. Well, she exceeded this goal by twenty-five minutes. How about that!!!

I had a brief conversation with the resident this morning (the ICU team has not made their rounds yet). During this conversation I heard a new term. The doctor referred to Cathy's current status as her "new baseline". I am still digesting this term, and I will pursue further clarification as I get the opportunity. My initial impression is that Cathy's lungs are about as good as they are going to get. The point of the trach collar exercises are to condition Cathy to be able to get as much as she can out of what lung capacity she has left. The doctor also mentioned 'rehabilitation facilities'. (The attending also mentioned this a few days ago). Their goal appears to be to get Cathy to a point where she can go throughout the day off of the ventilator and to be able to move around a little on her own. At that point she may be transferred to a rehabilitation facility. (I think rehabilitation facility is the new PC term for a nursing home).

Cathy has asked to sit in the chair again today. She is also expecting visits from her friend Dianna from Ventura and Donna and Floyd from Oxnard. Her dance card looks pretty full today.

David

1 comment:

Melody said...

Tiny baby steps. Each day brings more progress. And one determined Cathy! we have her in our daily prayers. And everytime I have a cup of coffee I think of you David!
Melody