Friday, July 25, 2008

Friday, Fish For Supper

Cathy has been on the trach collar since around 10 am and is still going strong. Earlier today, her trach tube was switched out with a smaller tube. At that same time she was fitted with a 'swallowing and speaking' valve. The nurse said she immediately began chatting up a storm. Unfortunately, the doctor that placed the valve was a little premature. One of Cathy's doctors (the new resident or the fellow, I am not sure I was not here) made them remove the valve. Cathy cannot use this valve until a speech coach works with her. After glancing and the instruction manual and the stack of warning messages, I appreciate this doctor's concern. The speech therapist is supposed to drop by tomorrow.

If all that were not enough for one day, Cathy was able to eat real food this evening (if you can call pureed fish, corn and broccoli real food, mmmm yummy). Cathy had one small bite of the fish and broccoli. She ate several bites of the corn. She also had a few bites of vanilla yogurt and a few sips of warm tea (apple cinnamon, Cathy hates cinnamon).

I am so looking forward to tomorrow. It looks like I am going to be able to have a real conversation with Cathy for the first time in almost four weeks. No more lip reading, although I think I am getting pretty good at it.

Cathy is sleeping peacefully at this moment, still on the trach collar. During the past couple days I have been watching a miracle.......... Front Row.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is so exciting to check your blog these days my dear! I love all this good news. I imagine that it has been a real struggle, but it truly is a miracle that you have made such huge improvements in the last week! Again, thank you God!!! Your determination is paying off, keep up the good work! I'm especially thrilled to hear that you are even getting to eat food now(although it's pureed! And, I too am anxious to hear your voice again!

We leave for Lake Chelan Sat. AM and may not have any internet access until next Friday. Please know that you continue to be on my heart and in my prayers! I love you!

XOXOXOX
BonBon

Melody said...

Wow! It turns out our diet coke toast to Cathy was well timed! LOL. Ted and I at the County Fair yesterday (Where I won three ribbons for photography, a second, third and fourth place!), had a lunch. While there with our cans of soda we toasted Cathy and her recovery! You go Cathy! Here's to you and your pureed food!
Ted& Melody