Tuesday, July 8, 2008

It Must Have Been Me All Along

Boy, I spend one day away from the hospital and things take off on a new course.

When I returned to the ICU this evening, I discovered Cathy breathing with only 5 cmH2O pressure, and an additional 20 cmH2O of pressure support on the ventilator! (Edited 7/9 @ 6:45 am. I wanted to make sure I was providing everyone with the correct information. This is still a great thing). And just to top that off, I learned that she had been breathing with these settings since just after 8:30 this morning (within one hour of my leaving the ICU). Cathy was given medication for her anxiety, which did the trick.... I sure hope it wasn't me :-( . After almost 14 hours, Cathy is doing great! All her numbers are great. Even the CVP2 value is good, a steady 5.

More specimens were collected this evening for cultures.

The nurse gave Cathy something to help her sleep and increased her sedation. Cathy was also given some morphine for her headache just before I left her this evening. She should sleep pretty good with that much 'pharmacy' in her.

I am hoping to catch the resident early tomorrow morning. If I get any notion that they may attempt to extibate Cathy tomorrow, I will stick around the ICU all day. Otherwise, I am planning to go to work again tomorrow. If I do, tomorrow's updates may be as sparce as today's.

Keep those good thoughts and prayers coming.

David

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now we're talkin! What great news! David, it surely wasn't your absence, it was just the Lord's divine timing! Thank you Lord!

We continue to pray for the moment we get to hear those complaints come straight from Cathy's mouth (post-extibation!). Love and more hugs! BonBon XOXOXOX

Anonymous said...

Our prayers and Cathy's strength to win this battle is proof of God's miracles!
Anxiety, is Cathy's enemy, David you are a blessing to her.
We are continuning our prayers and sending our love.
P.S. That was me posted as Anonymous yesterday!!

Melody said...

Great news! We will keep praying, as you can see, it is working. All those prayers from everyone, working for Cathy! David, I think you are a great comfort to her, so dont be thinking silly things at this point! We will keep checking, and even if the posts are sparse we will still check them.
Have a great day, and enjoy the good news yourself!
Melody & Ted