Friday, July 18, 2008

Noticeable Improvements

When I arrived at Cathy's ICU room this evening, I was pleasantly surprised to find Cathy sitting up in a hospital chair (a gurney that folds into a chair). There she was, just kinkn' back watchn' the flat screen.

I spoke with Cathy about today's exercise with the trach collar (Or trach cuff, I am confused. Different doctors and nurses refer to it differently). When I say I spoke with Cathy, I mean that I speak and then try very hard to read her lips. I think I am getting pretty good at it. Anyway, Cathy said that the first hour and a half went OK. She did not start struggling until after that. Cathy also 'said' that she does feel a little better today. The charge nurse came into the room while we were talking and said that they are going to shoot for three hours on the collar tomorrow. The goal is to get Cathy to the point where she can go throughout the day off of the ventilator, and only need the ventilator for support through the night.

The dosage for one of the three sedatives that Cathy is taking was cut in half today. I am a little apprehensive about this. The doctor's tried to reduce this before and Cathy's anxiety was more than what she could handle. It was Cathy's request to be sedated while she is on the ventilator. The doctors want to reduce the sedation because they believe Cathy will improve faster if she is more alert and working consciously on her breathing.

Today was Bonnie's last day with Cathy. We will both miss her support. I know Cathy's spirits were lifted by having her around.

Jessica and Becky are coming down this evening. Kaitlyn will be down tomorrow before she heads back up to San Francisco.

(knock on wood....) I believe that during the last two days, Cathy has made some noticeable improvements. I will be here tomorrow morning to listen in on the doctor's as they make their rounds. I will press them for their opinion on Cathy's improvements and the reduced sedation.

No comments: