Tuesday, July 22, 2008

I Spoke To Soon

When I returned to Cathy's room after posting the previous update, I came upon Cathy struggling to breath. There was also a significant amount of blood coming from her trach (there was a small amount earlier, but the nurse acted as if this was normal). I paged the nurse who summoned the respiratory therapist. Cathy was put on full ventilator support. This did nothing for her. The respiratory therapist then began 'bagging' Cathy (using a clear football shaped balloon to pump air and oxygen into the trach). Cathy responded positively to being bagged. All this was occurring while Cathy was in the chair. Cathy was moved back into her bed and the doctor was summoned. While moving Cathy back into her bed, a little bit of a mess was created (one of the tubes that is used for Cathy's bodily functions came out - sorry, any more detail would be inappropriate). They asked me to leave the room while they are cleaning Cathy up. As soon as I see the doctor go in the room I will return. As I learn more, and have a few moments, I will update the blog.

David

No comments: