Sunday, July 6, 2008

Extibation

The doctors say Cathy will be ready for extibation (removed from the ventilator) soon! Maybe even as soon as tomorrow!! How about that for exhilaration!!! It appears the doctors read more into those extra 6 minutes than I did.

They are focusing on 'dialing in' her electrolytes - potassium, magnesium and all those other 'esiums. Her blood pH is still a little out-of-whack (my words, I don't think you will find that one in any medical dictionary). They are also still concerned for the CO2 in her system, but it must not be a great enough concern to stop them from trying to extibate her. (I know, it sounds kinda nasty doesn't it?).

..... I just grabbed a moment with the attending physician in the hallway outside of Cathy's ICU. He stated that he is "confident that they should" be able to remove the breathing tube tomorrow. (He is confidant in a possibility. I guess that is something you learn in medical school). However you want to read it, We'll take it....

Cathy is resting very peacefully at the moment. I am confident that tomorrow should be a good day.

David

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woohoo!!! You go girl! 16 minutes of freedom today and more in sight! All these little victories add up to great ones in your future and I hope you're feeling encouraged! Just make sure you stick around long enough for a few more doses of "Dr. Eye Candy" before they send you home! I'll be on my knees about your big moment of extibation! Sending you healing hugs! XOXOXOX BonBon (P.S. David, you're an awesome blogger...who else can make a serious situation like this entertaining...Cathy will be so proud!)

Melody said...

That is fantastic news! We will continue the prayers, all tonight and through tomorrow for the exciting event! David, this blog is great! Thanks for the updates. It sure helps to be able to pray more specifically to Cathy's current needs!
Melody

Melody said...

This is from Mom and Howard. They both send their love and prayers. And are glad to hear of the improvements. Mom said her computer would not allow her to post a comment, so I am doing it for her. Thanks for the blog...it is great to have updates.
Mom and Howard