Thursday, July 24, 2008

Let's All Make a Diet Coke Toast To Cathy's Health

Cathy could hardly wait to let me see her take a drink of a diet coke as I walked into her ICU room this afternoon. I don't know what choked me up more: seeing her take that drink or seeing the big green grin on her face afterwards (the dye they used for the swallowing test turned her lips and mouth a bright green).

Evidently Cathy also made it almost twelve hours on the trach collar today. From sometime around 4 am this morning until sometime before 4 pm this afternoon she was on the trach collar. Cathy was put into the chair before noon and the swallowing test was given around 2pm. She has been sipping diet coke since that time. Before being put in the chair the physical therapist came by and 'gave her a work-out'. She has earned that diet coke.

The next step is to work on having Cathy eat pureed foods. Until she can take in enough calories to support herself, they are going to leave the feeding tube in.

So, everyone pour themselves a tall-cold diet coke and (clink) here's to Cathy's health.

David

5 comments:

Norma said...

Yea for Cathy! Enjoy those Cokes! I was anxiously looking forward to today's update, so am thrilled to hear the good news. You go gal!
Love, Norma

Anonymous said...

Cheers to you, my Friend, a Diet-Coke in your honor!!
Reading David's entry about your smile brought tears to my eyes.
Keep up the improvements ...

P.S Gail is finally getting married. We are leaving for Illinois tomorrow, returning Sunday. I am not sure if I will have Internet access, I will miss David's detailed updates.

I will continue praying for you and when your ears ring you know I am talking about you.

Love and kisses....

Anonymous said...

This one goes down in history! The first of anything by mouth in almost 4 weeks! I'm so thrilled for you C.J.! I LOVED David's description of your grin...I can just see it! AND, on top of that, 12 hours on the trach collar? You are off and running! Thank you Lord!!!

I love you!
BonBon
XOXOXOX

Melody said...

We will all have a diet coke in Cathy's honor today! Wow what great news! Here's to you Cathy!

Ted & Melody

Anonymous said...

YAY!!!! YOU GO GIRL!!! XOXO

I AM SO PROUD OF YOU LADY!

I LOVE YOU

BECKY BOO