Thursday, November 20, 2008

On The Collar

Cathy began a ventilator weening trial around 7 this morning. First the ventilator was changed to a pressure support mode. Cathy struggled, but like the trouper she is, pushed through it. Her blood gas CO2 went a little high (60's), but the doctors were not overly concerned. At 11 am she was switched to a trach collar at 40% oxygen. Again the trouper in her kept at it. Did I mention that all this was done with only a quarter of one dosage of pain medication and being jostled around as the nurses dealt with 'other issues'? After a little over one hour on the trach collar her blood gasses held steady (CO2 still in the 60's).

Cathy is still on the collar. I wouldn't say she is going strong, but she is still going. She is doing it with an intense concentration and that Cathy stubbornness.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cathy, did I tell you that I loved you and how much you amaze me?

I knew that stubborness of yours was always a blessing.

Your forever and Best Friend...

Anonymous said...

I've seen it before and it's a sight that could put anyone in their place....fully focused, determined to take each and every breath! You go girl!!! You are one day closer to rehabilitation and FREEDOM!!!!

I love you!
BonBon
XOXOXOX

Jami said...

Stubborn ???
Cathy ???
LOL
Hang in there kiddo....
Love,
Jami Lynne x/o