Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Bring It On

Cathy is in the procedure room getting bronk'd. This procedure was supposed to occur earlier this morning. There was a little confusion and her tube feedings were turned back on prematurely. The procedure had to be delay until her stomach emptied.

Cathy went twenty-four hours on the trach collar yesterday. After that time her blood gasses were all good. The medicine team had her put back on the ventilator this morning for a couple hours. Cathy does not feel like she needed the rest.

Back in July, Cathy developed a sore on the top of her head. At that time this was just another minor issue to be dealt with. This sore was examined by a couple of the residents and she was prescribed some cream. Over time the sore improved. After a few weeks it kinda went 'out of mind'. Last weekend, Jessica and I noticed a trickle of blood running down Cathy's forehead. The sore is back. It is now larger and crusty. A dermatologist examined it this morning. There were several possibilities given for the sore, among them was a skin cancer. Because of the many medications Cathy has been taking, they are not going to take any chances. Tomorrow a biopsy of this sore will be performed. Cathy is remaining positive.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

David & Cathy, So good to hear of your progress, Cathy. Such a difference from the pre-transplant.
About the spot on Cathy's head, I'm having one taken off next Monday at UCLA. It's a concern, but not terrible. I have a number on my hands, side of my face and chest. I'm also on a cream. They're Squamous Cell Carcinomas that grow very slowly and all have been insitu, thank goodness. Don't worry.
Norma

Anonymous said...

Cathy, sounds like you are doing great!

Your sore does sound like Squamous Cell Carcinoma and from my experience, if caught early, generally cause no problems.

My prayers go out to you, my Friend

Anonymous said...

good job momma! I am sooo glad I got to see you last night! You looked great! Your nurse was awesome too, not to mention a hunk too(from chicago) hehehe... I love you!!! And I pray that the bump on your head is nothing serious. Good luck morrow!

XOXOX
<3 Becky Boo
1...4...3...4!!!

Anonymous said...

I don't know about you guys, but I'm beside myself with glee...24 hours on the trach collar on day 6 of recovery!? That is awesome! Especially with the added great news of good blood gasses and no significant increase in fatigue. Thank you God!!!

I pray that the sore gets taken care of quickly and you're able to keep from worrying about it too much!

I hope the brochoscopy went well and that you recovered quickly from the procedure.

Sending you more healing hugs!
BonBon
XOXOXOXOX