Thursday, November 6, 2008

Long-Haired Freaky People Need Not Apply

Protests.....

I don't know how much of the local news has been covered elsewhere, if you haven't heard, this afternoon protesters took to the streets in West Los Angeles and Westwood. As I was listening to the developments on the radio during my drive to the hospital, I was at first sympathetic to the rights of those voicing their opinions. As my drive drew closer to the hospital, and the protesters moved their activities closer to the same destination, and my commute tempo slowed, my sympathies started to shift. By the time I was within a few miles of the hospital and my commute had slowed to a very, very slow crawl, I was about ready to scream at the first long-haired hippy freak protester carrying a sign that I saw. After an extra hour and a half on top of my normal two-hour commute, I walked into Cathy's room and my perspective did another 180. Let-em protest, H#!! yeah. Long-haired hippy freaks everywhere let your voices be heard.

OK.... I'm better now. I'll climb down off of my soap box. Thank you for letting me vent.

The physical therapist did not show again today. I caught the day nurse in the elevator as she was leaving for the day. She explained that they waited for the PT until after 3 pm. By that time Cathy no longer had enough energy to get up, so they did not attempt to have the Care Partner take Cathy for a walk. She said that tomorrow she will not wait until that late in the day.

It has been suggested to Cathy that she try reading, drawing, or writing to help pass the time and keep her spirits up. Magazines, books, note pads, pens and pencils have all been brought in. Cathy does not utilize these items because they take energy and concentration to use, handle and even focus upon. Some doctors and nurses get a little 'frustrated' when Cathy resists writing notes to them when they have a hard time reading her lips. Cathy feels she must focus all her energy upon breathing. The act of writing or reading takes her focus away from breathing. Holding a pen and pad, or a book for more that a few moments is tiring to her and makes her short of breath.

So, people can argue and protest as much as they want over the definition of something that we all know only truly exists in the hearts of two people, not in a paragraph of some constitution. It is a trivial argument when juxtaposed against someone protesting for a calm breath.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said David! So true! You just took me back to July in the ICU, watching Cathy focus her entire being on each and every breath. It's so hard to see someone you love struggling for life's most basic instinct, isn't it? So, for now, it would seem that her boredom busters will have to consist of games of "Name that Nurse" and Russian Roulet with the TV remote!

Sending you ALL love and hugs,
BonBon
XOXOXOXOXOX

Jami said...

Dear David,
Bless your sweet soul :)
You are a wonderful man.
It comes with great understanding your need to vent.
These times are trying for all, and my heart is with you :)
Jo, hang in there kiddo.
Prayers and love,
Jami Lynne x/o

Anonymous said...

Hello again!

Joe and I are heading out of town for the weekend to attend a marriage conference. I look forward to catching up with you when we get home Sunday night. Have a good weekend...hope you get lots of visitors!

Lots of Love,
BonBon
XOXOXOXOX

Anonymous said...

David you are entitled to vent and Amen to what is truly important in life !

Cathy, I know reading hurts your eyes but you can always listen to books on tape or better yet music!! I am sorry to hear you do not have the energy to draw.

Today we woke up to snow, beautiful white wet snow. Cathy, you would love looking out my window today.

We are praying for that new lung.