Friday, November 28, 2008

A Lap For Her Supporters

Cathy has been on the trach collar for thirty six straight hours. So far her blood gas levels are good (actually improving). As long as there are no changes in her blood gasses (for the worst) the plan is for her to remain on the trach collar.

Cathy was able to walk a complete lap around the ICU for physical therapy this afternoon. She was cheered on during this lap by some of the other nurses in the unit. She has been here so long there are many nurses that have played rolls in her recovery. Their sincere encouragement means a lot to Cathy. When she was done, the look of accomplishment on her face was priceless. A photo op, and I did not have a camera at hand.

During the night Cathy developed a mucous blockage. The nurse and respiratory therapist worked with Cathy to remove this blockage. What stands out different with this event, when compared to previous times when she developed a blockage, was that Cathy was able to bring up most of the blockage herself with the strength of her new lung, and she did not need to be put on the ventilator afterwards.

No word on the biopsy of the sore from the top of her head. However we were told that the samples taken during the bronchoscopy last Tuesday are negative for both infection and rejection.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go Cathy...I am joining in on the cheers of the nurses!

I am soo proud of you of all your accomplishments.

It sounds like you are recovering quickly.

I am looking forward to talking to you real soon...

Anonymous said...

More tears of joy....I'm just loving' all this amazing news! Working through a mucous blockage without breaking your streak on the trach collar...Wow! And, as if that wasn't enough, an entire lap around the ICU? I can hear Chariots of Fire in the background! Sorry I missed that! Just picturing the look on your face makes me cry (happy tears)!

Praise God for all these successes AND for the negative results on your bronchoscopy! I pray that the pain is much less of an issue these days and that you are feeling stronger by the minute!

I love you SO much!
BonBon
XOXOXOXO

Anonymous said...

GO MOM!!!! I am so sad that I am not able to be there for all these amazing accomplishments you are making towards your recovery. I hope you know that miles and I love you SOOOOO much and can't wait for you to come home! I love you bunches and I will see ya in a few days.

Love,
XOXOX

<3 Becky Boo and Baby Boo
1...4...3