Thursday, October 9, 2008

The P Word

Cathy had a very rough night. It sounds like the nurses and respiratory therapists were working on Cathy through most of the night to get her blood gasses lined out. Cathy is running a low grade fever again and the nausea is as bad as it has ever been.

I had a long conversation with the medical team attending physician this evening (the longest conversation that I've had with any doctor since Cathy was first admitted). Tonight there was no poker face. "There is a chance that Cathy has the beginnings of another pneumonia". My head is still spinning from hearing these words come from his mouth. I am trying to hold it together while I'm with Cathy. I can tell Cathy is trying to hold herself together also.

Tomorrow they are going to perform a CatScan (the X-rays do not provide enough detail). Cathy may also be transferred back to the ICU tomorrow. Several medications (antibiotics and anti fungal) are hanging from the IV pole this evening. We have not seen this many meds hanging from an IV pole since Cathy's first stay in the ICU. There is a sense of seriousness with anyone who walks into the room. The doctor said that they are not going to take any chances, they are going to act very aggressively.

1 comment:

Jami said...

My prayers are with you all.
Love,
Jami