Monday, October 13, 2008

Let Her Eat Cake

After several days of even the thought of food making Cathy nauseous, tonight Cathy has a desire to eat, something, anything, she is hungry. Unfortunately, Cathy cannot eat while on the ventilator. The current plan is to have her on the ventilator until tomorrow. If her blood gasses are OK in the morning, she will be put on the trach collar. Then she can eat. Hopefully she will still want to eat.

This morning Cathy had an ultrasound-type of procedure on her heart. We're not sure what they were looking for and the results have not been discussed with us yet.

Overall Cathy is doing better than yesterday, and a whole-lot better than Saturday. Her friend, Dianna, stopped by for a little while this morning. Cathy has been awake for most of the day.

Yesterday I mentioned the differing opinions that the doctors have about whether or not Cathy has a pneumonia. Cathy has shared with me her own opinion and told me that it was OK if I shared this opinion with everyone. Cathy believes that her body has resumed the rejection of her lungs. She mentioned this feeling to the attending physician yesterday. The attending said that it is a possibility but did not think that there is active rejection occurring. The only way to tell for sure would be to perform a biopsy. This biopsy would be performed by going inside her lung with a bronchyscope and taking a tissue sample from an area without scar tissue. She felt there was to much risk for this procedure to be performed at this time. Cathy and I are fearful that this latest set back is rejection related. Cathy knows her body and knows how she felt during the active rejection in the past.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know how well Cathy knows her body but this time I pray she is wrong!

We will pray Cathy has an appetite tomorrow ... rare steak, raw ground meat or french fries and honey..

Hugs and Kisses

Anonymous said...

Rejection, pneumonia, heart issues...I imagine that it can be overwhelming just thinking about the possibilities, especially considering the past 3 1/2 months! Now more than ever, I encourage you both to turn any and all anxiousness, worry and fears over to the Lord. He loves you more than any of us CJ (hard to imagine), and He is bigger than any of those conditions. He will see you through this!

May you be able to eat whatever you have a craving for tomorrow!

Love,
BonBon
XOXOXOXOXOX

Jami said...

Hey Jo,
We're all hoping it's not rejection.
Maybe the feeling will pass
after you get some food in your
belly.
Cake.........
Sounds delicious :)
I hope your appetite stays for that is always a good sign :)
Take care my friend.
Love you always,
Jami Lynne x/o

Anonymous said...

Hi to the both of you.... I also believe she'll feel better with real food in her tummy!!!... I thought i posted a comment, I dont know what happen, but I read all of the last updates and Im sending all my love and prayers... My dad is sending his thoughts and prayers as well... I am very grateful that you are doing this update thing for my Aunt Cathy.... You'll both be in my dreams tonight, sending my love,
Tamika and Family