Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Smiley Face

She was only able to go five hours on the trach collar this morning. The good news for the day is that the doctors may have confirmed why Cathy lacks energy and is experiencing a diminishing ability to breathe on the trach collar. An ultrasound of her chest cavity has shown an accumulation of fluids around the outside of her new lung. These fluids are keeping her diaphragm expanded and pressure on the outside of her lung. Tomorrow morning the doctor is going to insert a needle into her chest cavity and drain these fluids.

Today was the first day since her transplant that Cathy was allowed to eat. Since she cannot eat while on the ventilator, and she was only on the trach collar for a few hours this morning, she was not able to indulge in the culinary delights of the pureed menu.

The physical therapist worked with Cathy on some exercises that can be performed while she is sitting. Between this exercise and the pneumo vest tortures, she is zapped of her energy.

Tonight, as exhausted as she is, and with the anxiety over the thought of being poked with a big needle tomorrow, she is still managing to keep a bright smile on her face.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's our Cathy ...

Whenever I see your smiling face
I have to smile myself
Because I love you (Yes, I do)
And when you give me that pretty little pout
It turns me inside out
There's something about you, baby

Relax Cathy...after all you been through, a poke with a big needle will be a piece of cake!

Anonymous said...

Denise couldn't have said it any better! Way to be a trooper CJ! I'll be praying that the fluid draining experience is quick and painless! I imagine you'll be awake for this procedure, so don't look at the needle!

Love you tons!
BonBon
XOXOXOXOX

Jami said...

Hey Jo,
A beautiful smile indeed you
do have !!!
Hang in there kiddo.
The needle will be a piece
of cake.
But like Bonnie said.....
I wouldn't watch it :)
Take care my friend.
Love you always,
Jami Lynne x/o
PS
Grey's tonight..........

Anonymous said...

Dido on the needle idea... be strong!!! You are awesome! I love you!!!