Monday, December 29, 2008

A Routine Re-Visited

Today was Cathy's first 'post-transplant' clinic visit. We both enjoyed the cruise down to UCLA in the morning - sippin' coffee and listening to oldies. Prior to becoming to sick, Cathy and I used to make clinic days a little extra special by visiting a museum or having a special lunch after clinic. One of our favorite places to have lunch is a little diner in Toluca Lake, near the Warner Bros. and Universal Studios. It is a great place to people watch. I was a little choked-up as we walked into the diner together this afternoon. Cathy was also a little overwhelmed with the moment. The moment became even more special as I watched Cathy completely enjoy her patty melt. I could almost use the word Ecstasy to describe her expressions as her devoured the sandwich. (I guess my cooking this past week has a little ways to go before it compares to this diner's fare). Today alone made the past six months worth while: A warm & sunny So. Cal. day, a pleasant drive (read - no traffic), a good meal, and conversations about absolutely nothing.

Cathy is doing very well. She is tolerating her medication schedule well, her pain is manageable and subsiding, and her appetite is good. She is still dealing with numbness and tingling in her legs and feet. We are in a 'wait-and-see' mode to determine if this is a permanent or temporary condition. The pulmonologist at clinic today has referred Cathy for some additional physical therapy. Both he and the nurses at clinic were surprised to see Cathy walk into clinic today. Next week Cathy's G-tube may be removed and soon after the first of the year she will have the cancers removed.

We return to clinic next Monday - getting back into the routine.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was so excited to see another entry...

I am so happy to read Cathy's recovery is going so well.

I hope you had a blessed Christmas at home surrounded by family.

Happy 51st Birthday to you...Happy Birthday dear Cathy...with many more! I so wanted to call you but I was not sure if you can take calls yet?

I have been busy with my 85 year old Father-in-Law. He has been staying with us for a few weeks.

Happy New Year !!!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a memorable day...especially with where you've been! Praise God for more good news! I hope that you are catching up on your rest David, and enjoying time at home! Keep up the great care you are giving our girl!

Lots of Love,
BonBon

Jami said...

Hey Jo,
I am so excited that David wrote again !!! It is great to get these updates :)
Sounds like a delightful afternoon.
I am so happy for you both !!!
Glad to hear all is going so well.
This is just wonderful !!!
Have a great New Year's Eve and New Years Day !!!
I'll talk with you soon.
Love always,
Jami Lynne x/o

Anonymous said...

David and Cathy, it has been quite a journey these past 6 months. Today's post made me smile. I look forward to sharing the good news with my Mom and my daughter as they have followed the ups and downs. All of us continue to keep you both in our prayers!!

Aunt Betty in CO

Melody said...

What a blessing. It makes you realize it is indeed the simple moments in life that are the most valuable. That the things we take for granted are the things that are special, and sharing those moments with loved ones is what makes them even more special. Happy Birthday David! I hope this new year is one of blessings and happiness.
Ted and Melody