Sunday, October 26, 2008

Twinkle Twilkle Little Eyes

As I was waking up this morning I looked over and noticed that Cathy was staring in my direction. After I worked the creeks out of my bones and put on my glasses, I realized it was not the blank stare from last night. This stare had a set of twinkling eyes and a smile behind it. What a gift!

The respiratory support from the Bi-Pap that has brought Cathy out of her "reduced mental state" is the same as what the ventilator was providing her back in early July. I don't know if there is any significance to this, it just caught my attention. I will ask one of the pulmonologist about this when I get the opportunity.

With all the frequent blood draws and the bleeding from her wounds, Cathy is in the need of another blood transfusion. They haven't told us how many units. In the past it has typically been two units at a time. I've lost count, I think we are somewhere north of twelve units (one of these days I'll go back and read all the blogs and add them up).

The doctors want Cathy on the Bi-Pap continually except to eat and exercise. This morning Cathy went on the Bi-pap for a bit and ate some french toast and fruit. Within 45 minutes she was struggling and was 'going blank'. She is now back on the Bi-pap and smiling again.

No comments: